Kevo 2nd Gen. Touch-to-Open Smart Lock
Enhanced Experience vs Gen 1 Kevo
- Dramatically reduced interior, now smaller and sleeker
- Improved & simplified installation
- Color-coded installation hardware
- Single cable installation
- Improved authentication
- All-metal design
- Tamper-resistant screws
- Quick access window
- BHMA Grade 2 Certified
- UL Fire rated
Kevo 2nd Gen Smart Lock Features
- Touch-to-Open™ convenience
- 30 Second Auto Re-lock
- Send and manage eKeys via your smartphone for anytime access, scheduled access and 24 hour guest access
- eKeys available using Kevo mobile app – now FREE
- Receive notifications and view usage history
- Works with other smart devices – Amazon Alexa (Echo/Dot), Nest thermostat, Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat and Ring Wi-Fi and Skybell Video doorbells
- Military grade PKI encryption
- Patent pending positioning technology security feature automatically detects if you are inside your home to prevent unauthorized access
- Compatible with iPhone 4S or higher and select Android 5.0 or higher devices
- Also works with Kevo Fob (purchased separate) and Kevo Plus Accessory (sold separate)
- Fob capacity: Unlimited
- New Advanced SmartKey™ Security
- Traditional backup key and SmartKey re-keying feature
- SmartKey® re-key technology is compatible with Kwikset (KW1) keyway
- Backset: Adjustable 2-3/8″ – 2-3/4″
- Requires 4 AA Batteries – included
- 1 year lock battery life, multiple warning messages before battery change
- Lifetime mechanical and finish warranty
- 1 year electronic warranty to the original residential user
Types of eKeys
- Guest eKey: This free eKey allows you to give your Guest unrestricted access for a 24 hour period and will then be automatically deleted. If this eKey is not used within 24 hours after the eKey has been sent, it will expire. Guest eKeys are unlimited and can be sent to the same person or different people each time.
- Scheduled eKey: This eKey allows you to pre-set time constraints for the recipient. You control the days and the time of the week when the eKey will be active. This eKey never expires and can be reassigned from one person to the next as a Scheduled or Anytime eKey.
- Anytime eKey: You can send this eKey to anyone, anywhere, anytime. This eKey never expires and can be reassigned from one person to the next as an Anytime or Scheduled eKey.
Benefits of eKeys
- Each eKey is unique and assigned specifically to a Kevo user and Kevo lock
- An eKey can be shared digitally in a few clicks
- You are in full control of who receives an eKey. There are no more unknown copies of the keys to your home
- An eKey cannot be duplicated, unlike a physical key
- Using Kevo’s lock management system helps you track all eKey users at a glance
- You can temporarily disable or completely delete any unwanted users from Kevo
- With Scheduled eKeys, you can control the day/time when someone has access to your home
- With free and unlimited Guest eKeys, you can give your Guests unrestricted, 24-hour access
- eKeys capacity: Unlimited
YOUR SMARTPHONE IS NOW YOUR KEYKeep your phone in your pocket or purse. No more fumbling for your keys… just touch the lock to open for the ultimate in convenience.
NO SMARTPHONE? NO PROBLEMUse the Kevo Fob (sold separate). Keep your Fob in your pocket, purse or backpack and enjoy the same Touch to Open convenience. Fobs available here.
KEVO MOBILE APPKevo includes a free mobile app which is used for initial setup, sending, disabling and deleting eKeys, viewing history of smart lock activity, and setting up other configurable features and options. The Kevo App runs in the background on your device so there is no need to open the app to enter your home. Available for download at the Apple App Store for iOS devices* or Google Play for Andriod devices**.*Available for Apple iPhone 4s and newer only**Available for select Andriod 5.0 Lollipop devices
KEVO UPGRADE OPPORTUNITYOnce your Kevo arrives and you've setup your account, go to mykevo.com and max out what Kevo can do by upgrading to Kevo Plus ($99.99) with the Kevo Plus Bluetooth Gateway. When you connect the Kevo Plus gateway to your lock, the Kevo app turns on added features for managing access, as well as giving you true remote lock and unlocking.
- Respond to emergencies by giving a neighbor access to your home
- Never wonder if your door is locked or unlocked
- Let friends & guests into your home remotely
- Know when home service providers enter & leave
- Remotely secure doors left unlocked
2 3/4 (H) x 2 3/4 (W) x 1 5/32 (D) in.
5.75 (H) x 2.75 (W) x 2 (D) in.
1 3/8 – 2 in. (automatic adjustment)
Standard 2 1/8 in. Cross-Bore, Edge Bore: 1 in.
|Door Stile Width|
Minimum 3 in.
Bluetooth, Audit Trail, Scheduling, Remote Control
Grade 2 (Better)
1 Year Electronic, Lifetime Finish & Mechanical
Kwikset’s latest update for their Kevo smart lock, adds a new Kevo skill for Amazon Alexa. Now you can lock, unlock, and check the status of your Kevo locks using only your voice. The smart lock just got smarter.
How Does it Work?
Enabling the Kevo skill and linking your Kevo smart lock account to your device with Alexa gives voice control to your door locks. Once you link your accounts, you can issue voice commands to Alexa like:
Alexa, ask Kevo to list my locks.
Alexa, ask Kevo to check the status of my front door.
Alexa, ask Kevo to lock my front door.
Alexa, ask Kevo to unlock my front door.
*Note, when you connect your Kevo smart lock to Amazon Alexa you are required to set up and speak a 4-12 digit pin for additional security. In testing, we found that you can also whisper your pin to Alexa to prevent your pin from being overheard, increasing security.
Is it safe?
Your Kevo and Kevo Plus already feature unmatched smart lock security. With military-grade PKI encryption and inside-outside technology protecting the digital experience and the latest SmartKey security protecting the mechanical cylinder, you can feel safe with a Kevo smart lock on your door. For more on the security technology in your Kevo smart lock please visit the Kevo security page.
If you do choose to use Alexa to unlock your Kevo, be sure to set a secure 4-12 digit pin code. 1…2…3…4, your birthday, or your ATM pin code aren’t the most secure choices. Remember, you’ll be saying this aloud, or whispering quietly, to unlock your Kevo using Alexa, so your pin should be easy to remember but also unique to your device with Amazon Alexa.
Kevo 2nd Gen Smart Lock, Kevo Plus and Echo/Dot
Blackberry and Windows platforms are not supported at this time.
The Kevo lock operates on 4 AA batteries, and the Kevo fob operates on one CR2025 battery. Depending on usage, the batteries should last for a year before they need to be replaced.
What is an eKey?
An eKey is an encrypted electronic key that can be sent to friends and family with Kevo-compatible smartphones. It works just like your existing mechanical key but resides on your Smartphone. Kwikset is pleased to announce that eKeys will be completely free of charge starting February 1, 2017. Please note that refunds are not available for eKeys purchased prior to February 1st, 2017.
Each eKey is unique and assigned specifically to a Kevo user. In order to guarantee the best security, sharing of eKeys is not available at this time.
What are the different eKey types?
Owner eKey: When you set up your phone to work with the lock your phone will automatically receive the only owner eKey.
Admin eKey: have full access to the lock, the lock’s history, and its notifications in addition to being able to send, edit, or delete eKeys with the exception of the Owner.
Anytime eKey: are able to lock or unlock the lock.
Customer Questions & Answers
- Q Can the interior hardware be mounted upside down? I have very limited space above the deadbolt on... answer nowAnswered by the admin
No, it would affect the install as well as the ability to open the door properly. You may have a better chance of installing the August Connect Pro lock series as they are a bit smaller.
- Q What are the smart home requirements? For example do I need a hub, and witch ones work if so? And... answer nowAnswered by the adminThis lock is a Bluetooth lock and does not use Wifi nor does it use a hub. If you need to work with this lock remotely you can do so using the Kevo Plus which can be found here with all of the specs and requirements: https://www.
- Q Is there a auto lock feature exists? For example if i unlock the door and close the door...does i... answer nowAnswered by the admin
Yes, this lock has a thirty-second auto lock feature which can be turned on and off as needed.
- Q How much battery life on your phone does this app actually use. My phone already barely lasts the... answer nowAnswered by the admin If you are using a smartphone the app will run in the background. Any app that runs in the background will have a battery draw on the device. The more apps you run the stronger draw on your battery.
- Q If I want to get additional physical keys is that possible since it says they cannot be duplicated? answer nowAnswered by the admin Theoretically, a copy of the key can be made for this type of cylinder. If however, a person uses the smart key function to rekey the lock then the copied keys will be useless
- Answered by the admin Currently, not at this time, the watch is only able to see lock notifications. Until Apple decides to make allow the app to operate within its Apple Watch framework then we will see its compatibility.
- Q If I am in the home but upstairs and far away from the lock, can I still open it with my phone us... answer nowAnswered by the admin This will only work if you have the Kevo bridge installed in the environment. Just as you explained, with Bluetooth you need to be in proximity of the lock in order to control this. The bridge will help mitigate that issues.
- Answered by the admin No, currently the Kevo lock is not supporting any type of NFC technology. Kevo operates off of Bluetooth technology alone allowing you to just touch the lock and not have to present any type of credential or device to the lock in order to open it.
- Answered by the admin The back of the lock has a manual deadbolt knob so you can throw your deadbolt open while you are in the house. Once you leave or desire to lock it just touch the deadbolt and the lock will automatically throw the lock closed.